Update: the date of the Manila art show is now September 13.
UBC Philippine Studies Series is launching an art exhibit called Mahal 3: Packing & Unpacking Balikbayan Box Flows. If you ship your gifts/padala through us, we’ll send it to the Philippines for free as part of our art show. We will display two balikbayan boxes in Vancouver then send them to another art space in Manila, where the recipients will collect their items. We are interested in people’s stories through the gifts they send to friends and family, so we can share our experiences as members of the Filipino community in Canada.
Shipping is on us! / Libre padala! It’s easy to take advantage of this incredible UBC-funded offer.
- Drop off your gifts/padala to Edsel, a Filipino UBC Anthropology student, at 827 E32nd Avenue, Vancouver. He is available after 6pm from Monday to Wednesday, and after 8pm on Saturday and Sunday. Please contact him in advance by phone at 778-898-4045 or by email at edselyuchua(at)yahoo.com
- Leave your padala unwrapped and include the recipient’s name and address.
- Edsel will ask you a few questions about your padala, and with your permission, he’ll film your response and include it in our art show.
- Feel free to include letters, postcards, or pictures about the padala, you, or the recipient. We’ll display it at the art show, because your padala is our art!
- Provide your email address to Edsel, so we can inform you when your padala has arrived safely in Manila.
- We’re accepting padala until June 1. But don’t delay, this free shipping offer is first-come, first-served!
We will display the items and their stories at YACTAC art gallery in Vancouver from June 8-9, 2012. After the show, we will ship it to the Kanto Art Collective in Manila, and they in turn will have their art show on September 13, and recipients of the gifts/padala will collect their items there.
If you have any questions, contact us at ubc.pss(at)gmail.com or ask on Facebook.
Padala drop-off point: 827 E32nd Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada (pls inform Edsel of drop off time)
Vancouver art show: YACTAC
Gallery, 7206 Ontario Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Manila art show: Kanto Art Collective, 7274 Malugay St. Brgy San Antonio Village, Makati, Philippines
Update: See photos from the event