QUEERING THE FILIPINO DIASPORA IN CANADA
Featuring the documentary, “StandStill” by Joella Cabalu
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Liu Institute for Global Issues, Case Room, UBC
6476 NW Marine Drive, Vancouver
Unceded Musqueam Territory
ABOUT THE DOCUMENTARY
StandStill (2013) is a short documentary on the filmmaker’s journey to bring together her gay brother and devout Catholic parents to discuss religion and homosexuality. The film’s trailer is available at: https://vimeo.com/joellacabalu/standstilltrailer.
ABOUT THE PANEL DISCUSSION
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion featuring the filmmaker in conversation with scholars and activists whose work revolves around the sexualities of Filipinos in Canada and queer activisms.
• Joella Cabalu, Filipino-Canadian documentary filmmaker
• Jay Cabalu, Filipino-Canadian artist
• Dr. John Paul Catungal, SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow and Killam Honourary Fellow Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice and Department of Geography, UBC
• Melanie Matining, Activist and Community Facilitator
• Darla Tomeldan, Pinoy Pride Vancouver
Organized by the Philippine Studies Series at UBC with the Liu Institute for Global Issues
RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org or at our Facebook event!
* light snacks will be served